Forms and Fabrics of the Terracotta Industry in Southern Etruria in the Third and Second Centuries B.C

In: Bouquillon, A. (ed.) Ceramic Heritage, "Proceedings of Session 4 of the 5th Conference and Exhibition of the European Ceramic Society, Versailles, France, June 22-26, 1997. p. 1438 - 1443

By Anders Lindahl & Martin Söderlind

ABSTRACT

Five moulded terracotta votive heads from Tessennano, Te 1-5, three terracotta sarcophagi from Tuscania, Tu 1-3, two terracotta votive heads from Vulci, Vu 1-2 and three votive heads from Tarquinia, Ta 1-3 are presented in this study.1 They are included in a larger ongoing research and have been dated to the late third and second centuries B.C. Moulds deriving from the same handmade prototype, hence called type AI, have been used on all sculptures (Fig. 1). The votive sculptures derive from votive deposits while the sarcophagi have been found in rupestral chamber tombs near Tuscania. These sites are all located in Southern Etruria, the northern parts of modern Lazio.

Keywords: central production, ceramic, ceramic analyses, coarse fraction, grain size, handmade back, itinerant workshop, local remoulding, mould, mould circulation, mould generation, ore, petrographic microscopy, productional parallel, sarcophagus, terracotta, thin section, type, votive head, votive sculpture.


Page maintained by Anders.Lindahlgeol.lu.se
This page was last modified 2005-01-26 11:43
To the first page